[lbo-talk] German election: the markets won't like this

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Sep 18 11:58:58 PDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Jim Farmelant wrote:

> Any chance that Schroeder or the other SPD leaders could come under
> pressure from the Party's base to do a coalition with the Left party
> rather than a grand coalition with the CDU?

Prognostication is a bum's game, but I think it's safe to say that nobody in Germany seems to think it's possible. At least not today. I've heard more people joking about a Jamaican coalition (black-yellow-green) than mentioning that as a possibility. (But I emphasize they were joking.)

Schroeder's current idea, as of 30 minutes ago, seems to be that there should be a grand coalition with him as Chancellor.

Michael