[lbo-talk] German election: the markets won't like this

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 18 11:20:24 PDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:51:57 -0400 (EDT) Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> writes:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > [CDU+CSU+FDP = 46.1%. SPD+Left+Greens = 49.9%. So why can't there
> be a "left"
> > coalition?]
>
> Because the SPD and the Greens refuse to ally with the Left party.
>
> That's sort of the story of the election. The majority that voted
> Schroeder
> in hated him for turning right. They don't want Merkel because
> she's
> farther right. They signaled that they want him to turn left. And
> he and
> the Greens refuse.

Any chance that Schroeder or the other SPD leaders could come under pressure from the Party's base to do a coalition with the Left party rather than a grand coalition with the CDU?

I seem to recall that the first time that he got elected, Schroeder considered doing a grand coalition with the CDU but he opted for a coalition with the Greens who by then had already moved to the right and proved amenable to the SPD on most major issues.