[lbo-talk] Australian Professor Discusses His Country's Complicity in Iraq Mass Mortality

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 12:27:43 PDT 2005

On Sunday, September 18, 2005 11:25 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> 100,000 "...dead at Saddam's command", MichaelP, I'm still waiting
>> for something verifiable. [Just like a majority of the rest of the
>> world]

> From interviews broadcast on October 17, 2002 and archived at
> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio_1.html#021017>:
>
> "This is a monster who has been created and backed by the West. On
> the left, he's been hated for ages. He's a pitiless and ruthless
> dictator."
> - Tariq Ali, starting at 12:56

> "Saddam Hussein and bin Laden are both monsters, but they're very
> different kinds of monsters. Saddam Hussein is secular; Osama bin
> Laden is a religious fanatic.... No links have been found, but
> they're both monsters."
> - Noam Chomsky, starting at 3:07

I'm still waiting for Forensic evidence, after all, they used Landsat to locate "Che" guevara in the Bolivian jungle in the early 60s, they claim that even then, they could tell how "...long it had been since he shaved"(quote source lost to history)

You'd think by now they could locate 100,000 bodies, remains, or sites that have the evidence of such. They can locate my friggin' cellphone to a 300m radius... but no, no ones found anything like 100,000, or even 1/4 that number, and until they do present ANYTHING tangible, it's just so much propaganda.

...A nasty diversion from taking responsibility for our own foibles.

Noam Chomsky understands propaganda, that's why he chose the word "monster" instead of other adjective choices, and left GWB out, because it allows us to extrapolate, without taking direct responsibility, or incurring resistance to the possiblility that we create our own monsters. No one wants to be considered "accomplice to mass murder", but many could take responsibility for their own "monsters" and set about putting them in their cage.

Noam Chomsky is very subtle, if you think about what he's saying, you miss the point... Semantics! That's why his very specific way of talking in a subdued manner... he's "hypnotizing" the audience to set the environment for a deeper form of communication than just "words"... Concepts.

as far as:
> "This is a monster who has been created and backed by the West. On
> the left, he's been hated for ages. He's a pitiless and ruthless
> dictator."
> - Tariq Ali, starting at 12:56

Yeah.... What of it? So he's a totalitarian murderer with connections to western corporate interests, he has lots of company, including GWB.

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml