[lbo-talk] HELP! MOM!! THERE ARE LIBERALS UNDER MY BED!!!

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 20 06:48:00 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood quotes someone (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, perhaps?):

> She also points to the prohibition on prayer in school

This "prohibition" is, of course, non-existent, but it's reported as if it were true. The ban is on public school-organized prayer.

This brings up a question I've sometimes wondered about: do the polls on public school prayer break it out into Protestant-vs.-Catholic? Catholics were historically opposed to prayer in public schools in the United States, because the prayers were inevitably Protestant prayers. My own parents, who were raised as Catholics, talked about how they were instructed not to say the Lord's Prayer in school, since it ended with that "For the kingdom and the power . . . " stuff, which was a Protestant add-on. I imagine nowadays the Latin-Mass nostalgics are making common cause with the speaking-in-tongues crowd who just a few decades ago would have said in public that the Pope is the Antichrist.