[lbo-talk] prescriptions

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 20 10:00:30 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Speaking of prescribing how women should behave, here's the Hooter's
>employee manual:
><http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0915051hooters1.html>. No more than
>two earings per ear, no tats, no midriff - a camera-ready look at all
>times! And SMILE!!

Ah yes, SMILE!! The hideous rictus that is the default facial setting of this transactional society. Barbara Ehrenreich makes a deft reference to this in her new book on white-collar unemployment, _Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream_. Referring to some fatuous "career coach" who was ostensibly helping her to find a PR job, Ehrenreich writes: "She represents something about the corporate world that repels me, some deep coldness masked as relentless cheerfulness." Bingo -- the true-to-life vision of the biz world as hell decked with smileys.

BTW, the quote cited is from the NY Times review -- sounds like a great book but too depressing to read. <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/books/review/18jacobs.html>

Carl