[lbo-talk] white Americans think Kanye West is wrong

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 20 10:42:43 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>In my personal experience, ethnicity does not matter that much (if at all)
>as class. I have a better communication with, say, a black professional
>than with a white redneck, or with an Indian sociologist than a Polish
>peasant.

More uncharacteristic individualism! It's not about personal relations, it's about how people get sorted into their social roles. Black people are less likely to be doctors and more likely to be sanitation workers than white people. A black doctor is likely to be paid less than a white doctor with similar education and experience. Etc.

Doug