[lbo-talk] white Americans think Kanye West is wrong

tfast at yorku.ca tfast at yorku.ca
Tue Sep 20 19:57:33 PDT 2005

Wojtek,

Well here we all are. I must say (in hush demure tones) that I actually think the entirety of your repost is bullshit: straight-up. Definitional and temporal problems of statistical inquiry into th direction of causation aside, the fact remains that African Americans variously defined and enumerated are overly represented in terms of illiteracy, incarceration, infant mortality rates or whatever other statistical/definitional category you care to track vis-a-vis the white population. Now you can pursue several avenues of rejoinders. "You" could as you have retreat into a positivist sanctuary built with the statistical problems of definitional and temporal specificity and causation. You could, look at all the studies and conclude regardless of the temporal and definitional problems that there remains a large residual and attribute that residual to the spurious but nevertheless socially real category of blackness and ascribed traits of that construct. Or you could simply and rightly in my mind conclude that the residual is in fact the product and legacy of racism understood as a form of domination within the broader but no more real context of a hierarchically organized society. We will not get to the end by papering over the real cracks that separate us. Unity cannot be purchased through the implicit or willfull disregard of the political economy that brought us here. I too share your preference for materialist explanations which has nothing to do with a coy seperating out of oneself and a series of "limited" (in terms of understanding) statistical intractabilities (which of course has everthing to do with 1,2,3 below).

Respectfully yours,

Travis