[lbo-talk] white Americans think Kanye West is wrong

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 21 06:23:34 PDT 2005

Travis:
> Well here we all are. I must say (in hush demure tones) that I actually
think
> the entirety of your repost is bullshit: straight-up.

That is very incisive, indeed. Where do they teach such a powerfully simple - or shall I say simplistic? - way of arguing and studying social behavior?

> Or you could simply and
> rightly in my mind conclude that the residual is in fact the product and
legacy
> of racism understood as a form of domination within the broader but no
more real
> context of a hierarchically organized society.

Wow, how profound. Thanks for enlightening me. I thought that life an all forms known to us was about hierarchy and domination - so nihil novi sub solem. Or stated differently, inequality and domination of one life form over another is a basic fact of life, a constant if you will, that affects every life form on Earth. That is not particularly revealing or interesting. A more interesting part of it is that it affects different life forms differently, so an inquiring mind would want to know why. The key word here is "know," which in my book does not mean parroting party lines.

>We will not get to the end by
> papering over the real cracks that separate us. Unity cannot be purchased
> through the implicit or willfull disregard of the political economy that
> brought us here.

What makes you think that I want unity, or even being on the same boat, with people whose views an opinions I do not hold in a particularly high regard?

Wojtek