[lbo-talk] Hey Mr. bitter expat

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 11:19:25 PDT 2005

--- Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I don't care what you say about it, but
> as an expat myself
> I do wonder why you choose to remain in a place you
> loathe so much.

Having spent many years as an expat myself, I know one of the favorite activities of expats is to bitch about their adopted country. I saw it in France, Italy, Malta and other places where I lived. It's not that their criticisms are not sometimes spot on. They are. But one, people who wander are often looking for Shangrila and when the adopted country comes up short, well, it's time to bitch. Two, your adopted country, which may be overall better in many ways than your country of origin, is certainly prone to lack beloved features of your country of origin. And, expats deal with this longing by bitching. It's sort of like talking about the weather and in the multicultural expat world, it allows for a common thread of conversation.

Thomas