[lbo-talk] Hey Mr. bitter expat

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 08:49:18 PDT 2005

--- JC Helary <jch.helary at free.fr> wrote:

> People not of this sort like (or not) to call
> themselves expats
> because it gives them a sense of ephemerality that
> they can't even
> dream to experience. Most of the time they will
> _never_ go back home
> except for a few weeks to show the new born baby...

In the very, VERY few times I have been back to the States in the past few years I have been completely alienated. Not only are the signs written in English (which plays tricks on my eyes for the first few days as my brain tries to resolve them into the Cyrillic alphabet), the people are nuts. I mean, they think Georgia is a state, Caucasians are "white people," Soviet collapse was good, and people pair Hitler and Stalin. It's like a collective psychosis has taken control over there! ;)

I don't think it's psychologically possible for me to move back at this point. ;)