[lbo-talk] Indian food [was: Hey Mr. bitter expat

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 22 10:48:33 PDT 2005

Doug:
> Au contraire! When I visited London in Nov '03, I was impressed by
> the variety of foods, from the appealing gastro-pubs to extravantly
> strange spots like St John Bread & Wine ("Nose to Tail Eating"
> <http://www.stjohnbreadandwine.com/history.cfm>).

Yeah, it is definitely better now but I remember trying to find a place to eat in the early 1990s - I forgot the location - and I ended up in a chain, Pizza Hut if memory serves. Abomination.

Or perhaps it is yet another urban myth, a legacy of the old Euro-joke: Q: What is an European heaven? A: French being the cooks, British being the policemen, Germans being the auto-mechanics, Italians being the lovers, and Swiss running the trains. Q: What is an European hell? A: French being auto-mechanics, British being the cooks, Germans being the policemen, Italians running the trains, and Swiss being the lovers.

Wojtek