[lbo-talk] Political Effect of Hurricane Rita: Struggles over OilSubsidies, Truckers' Direct Actions, Etc.

Victor victor at kfar-hanassi.org.il
Thu Sep 22 22:13:42 PDT 2005

A quickie check on Indonesian and Thai fuel price mechanics indicates that fuel subsidies in those countries are major drains on government funds (after all the subsidy has to come from somewhere).

Indonesian oil subsidies last year reached $US7.4 billion, or nearly 3 per cent of Indonesia's GDP. As prices of crude go up ($US 55-60 per barrel) the subsidy will probably reach about 130-140 trillion rupiah - about $US13-14 billion - which may be about 30 per cent of the government's budget.(Mohamed Chatib Basri, director of the Institute for Economic and Social Research at the University of Indonesia, see http://abcasiapacific.com/news/infocus/s1464583.htm). While the subsidy supports the development of a strong middle class, vital to the capitalising on Indonesia's potential economic strengths, it will severely hamper important state-run projects such as the post-tsunami recovery and so on.

Thailand has already removed subsidies on petrol. The new price for subsidised premium petrol is 20.59 baht, compared with the actual price of 21.31 baht, and regular petrol is now 19.79 baht, compared with 20.60 baht. The subsidised price for diesel remains capped at 14.59 baht, compared with 19 baht a litre, see (http://www.cleanairnet.org/caiasia/1412/article-58879.html or http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/11Aug2004_news05.php). [a baht = around 1/4th of a dollar]. The Thai government's subsidy of retail oil prices has reached 23.23 billion baht and could reach 40 billion baht by the end of the year.

The argument that state intervention was fostering inefficient oil use is the usual liberalizing privatization cant, easy to assert but hard to prove, but there can be no doubt that subsidies are and will indeed "cause ballooning budget losses, leaving many Asian countries vulnerable to a sudden spike in oil prices. And one can't help but agree that "In the event that oil prices return to above $70 a barrel and stay there until the end of 2006 (and it looks like they will), growth could be cut by more than one percentage point in a number of countries, according to forecasts by bank."

The argument that privatization will end the huge losses sustained by state-owned oil companies because of price controls that set domestic prices well below international prices (and I would add to the losses sustained from gross inefficiency and self-enrichment of government officials and politicians at the public's expense) is true, but the Yukos fiasco among others have adequately exposed the speciousness of so-called liberalization of national resources. It generally means that national resources become the defacto property of forces that even less concern for the public weal than do corrupt local officials and politicians (despite bullshit Shell oil ads to the contrary on CNN).

Thailand's policy of removing subsidies from petrol while holding the line on diesel can only be a temporary solution, but if prices of crude and petrol products continue to rise? Victor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 5:00 Subject: [lbo-talk] Political Effect of Hurricane Rita: Struggles over OilSubsidies, Truckers' Direct Actions, Etc.