[lbo-talk] [Fwd: [Marxism] U.S. emergency plans: a disaster waiting to happen]

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Fri Sep 23 08:36:44 PDT 2005

More of a question than a critique.

I agree with you, but I feel the need to ask anyway...

A great majority of greenhouse gas emissions come from only a handful of countries (EU States, US, Canada, Japan, NZ, Australia). I would suppose that even if only the US and EU were on board for significant cuts in GHG emissions, this would have a large impact. The relevant technology doesn't need to be put into place on a global scale. It would have a significant impact on the emissions if is was only implemented in the OECD90 (as the chart below shows).

http://www.pewclimate.org/global-warming-basics/facts_and_figures/regdist.cfm

I know the problem with this assumption (besides the fact that even getting the US and EU on board is a pipe dream)...which is that the production of GHG emitting industrial processes would just be transferred to places where there aren't the restrictions.

Bryan