[lbo-talk] Re: Antifa Critique of German "Left Party"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 10:24:20 PDT 2005

Dennis:

>>And again, I have to ask, where are you getting
these dire visions of a Wehrmacht running amok? What's wrong with sending German peacekeepers in the year 2005 as part of a UN mission to help Palestine rebuild?<<

I understand that well-intentioned people could make this argument entirely in good faith.

However, this logic could also be used to support Bush's war in Iraq, and in fact that's generally what a figure like Christopher Hitchens does.

How can one promote the one position without adopting the other as a logical consequence? Simply on the basis that American imperialism = great Satan whereas German imperialism = humanitarian intervention?

I know, of course, the argument that says that the U.S. just created an even bigger mess in Iraq, but whose to say that the presence of German troops in Israel wouldn't provoke a similar chaos. Just look at how the settlers acted up during the Gaza evacuation.