[lbo-talk] Antifa Critique of German "Left Party"

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:10:07 PDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Adam Souzis <adamsz at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for translating that, it was quite interesting.
> >From a distance
> the PDS' move toward reactionary, racist nationalism
> seems part and
> parcel with other ex-Communists parties across former
> eastern bloc and
> Soviet states.
>
> ---
>
> Strictly speaking race and racism (as opposed to
> chauvinism or ethnic animosity) are close to being
> meaningless concepts in most of the former Soviet
> states. It's like talking about racism in ancient
> Rome. Race is a European/North American meme. Anyway,
> since the CPs' electorate is the disenfranchised, and
> since the disenfranchised tend to be chauvinistic, it
> is hardly surprising.

yes, i was using the term racist loosely -- "nativist" would have been more precise. Just saying "chauvinistic" seems too broad a term to me unless it has some nuance i'm not aware of.

And yes, its not too surprising. Wasn't it Lenin himself who said anti-semitism is the communism of the ignorant?

-- adam