[lbo-talk] DC

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Sep 23 11:27:37 PDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> So how many people are going to DC tomorrow to demand an end to the war?
> I'm just not hearing much talk about it, so I'm wondering about turnout.

I wasn't going to talk about it because it makes me feel guilty and ashamed. But now that you bring it up, I'm basically still traumatized by F15 (and then the weekly gatherings in Central Park that came after). Those protests were so good, they felt so affirming -- and they were so impotent. And it's made me think back to all the marches I've gone to in Washington, especially 25 years ago protesting Nicaragua and El Salvador. And it all feels so impotent that demonstration has begun to be associated in my mind with stupidity. For what is something ineffective endlessly repeated?

But like I said, I still feel guilty and ashamed of my feelings. And once I hour I wonder if I should drop everything and go anyway. And then it passes.

Michael