[lbo-talk] No Way Out

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 22 21:19:13 PDT 2005

>From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
>>So far, the evacuations have gone as planned down here, with the notable
>>and sizeable exception that there is total, absolute gridlock on the
>>major interstates leading out of the Houston metroplex. People are
>>sitting out in 100 degree heat in their cars with the windows rolled
>>down, trying to conserve gas (becasue there isn't any), and moving about
>>20-30 miles in 11 hours, with little water....
>> - Deborah (west Houston)
>
>The poor without cars and money are stuck again:

>No way out: Tears, anger as some try to flee and many poor are stuck
>DEBORAH HASTINGS
>Associated Press
><http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/12715593.htm>

The odd thing is, the affluent escaping in cars don't seem to be much better off than the poor stuck back in Houston. They're without fuel, without water, virtually immobile and completely exposed should the hurricane strike. Houston Mayor Bill White was quoted as saying that "being on the highway is a deathtrap." I suppose this is not the appropriate time to savor the irony of Houston, a world capital of the petro/auto culture, suffering a near-fatal car thrombosis aggravated by an acute gas deficiency.

Carl