[lbo-talk] DC

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 24 09:19:56 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>
>Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
>> > Thanks to a power failure, there
>>> were no trains to DC this morning.
>>
>>Too bad you didn't fly! :-) :-) :-)
>
>Train (when it's running): $80
>Plane: $120.

Not to mention the indignity premium. I had the occasion to fly from L.I.-Islip to Baltimore last weekend on a family matter. It was the first time I'd traveled down there by air and only the second time since 9/11/01 that I'd flown at all. It was a very fast and smooth trip that saved me hours versus taking the train. I was also pleased and surprised to see they still give out free peanuts. Still, I may well take the train next time. I was stunned to see that, yes, having to remove your shoes and belt is indeed part of the basic price of air travel anywhere today. I was infuriated to get this request and infuriated all over again because no one else was infuriated, since this is just a routine part of life for so many in this land of frequent fliers. It's amazing how easily Americans can be trained to eat any amount of shit "for their own good."

Carl