[lbo-talk] The Endless Swerve Effect (was, campcaseydc)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 24 15:09:26 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >All of this will, of course, be accompanied (as is already the case in
> >many ways) with increased repression and with growing reaction to that
> >repression.
>
> Maybe so, but I just spoke with Liza, who reports a very thin cop
> presence - not the usual massed hordes in riot gear. Her guess of
> numbers is somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 - and a much more
> "diverse" crowd than in earlier demos.

My "increased repression" was a blank check, i.e. I didn't offer any guesses as to its form or expression. Our local demo was all white, and I'm not sure how to change that right away, but otherwise it was the most diverse in local history in reference to age, gender, occupation, etc. We even had a local Teamster official speak, and an M.D. who is going to run for Congress in the DP primary _solely_ because he's ticked off at the war! And a younger man whose (non) hair style would suggest someone who feared nothing in conversation told me that he had had all sorts of worries about whether it was safe to come -- e.g., would it piss off his friends at work, cause him trouble with his employer, etc.
>From a couple of the speakers (fresh faces unknown to me) and some
conversation I had this sort of fear is more widespread than I would have thought.

When we planned this demo our hopes were merely that enough would show up (20 or so) that we wouldn't feel too lonely. What a blast!

Carrol