[lbo-talk] The Endless Swerve Effect (was, campcaseydc)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 05:04:14 PDT 2005

Quoting myself:

Then again, perhaps I'm seeing more there than is really there...

*******

Doug:

In the spontaneous mini-demo in Penn Station this morning, there was exactly one pro-war voice - a seriously odd-looking woman who screamed "Support the troops!"

******

Carrol:

...poof to the counter-demonstrators. They are froth.

******

Yeah.

It looks as if the anti-antiwar organizations are unable to assemble impressive numbers, making them, it appears, ineffective propaganda tools.

As the following story suggests.

Smaller but Spirited Crowd Protests Antiwar March More Than 200 Say They Represent Majority

By Timothy Dwyer Washington Post Staff Writer Sunday, September 25, 2005; A13

On a day when they knew they would be outnumbered and out-shouted, more than 200 supporters of the Iraq war nonetheless gathered yesterday at the U.S. Navy Memorial to get out their message.

They were military families and members of such organizations as Move America Forward and RightMarch.com and Protest Warrior, and they were determined to be heard.

The crowd cheered when William Greene, president of RightMarch.com, called the antiwar protesters "the Sheehanistas." They cheered again when he said: "Our voices will not be silenced. We are the majority."

For the counter-protesters, the day began at a downtown hotel several blocks from the Navy Memorial, with a news conference held by about 20 Gold Star Families for Peace. The message most of them delivered was simple: Cindy Sheehan, the antiwar mother who led a vigil outside President Bush's Texas ranch after her son was killed in combat, did not represent them.

[...]

full at -- <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/24/AR2005092401518_pf.html>