[lbo-talk] DC

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 25 06:32:13 PDT 2005

LOBsters one and all!

The marches made all the TV newscasts, I saw down here in Australia: SBS, ABC, Channel 10... The focus of the reporting was that Sheehan spoke (some stations even gave her a couple of sentences of time, "Bring them Home Now!") and that there were thousands of people demonstrating against the war. That focus was combined with a few obligatory shots of black block types taunting and being chased by police--approximately equal time with Cindy. A guy with a rather large anarchist flag managed to escape the clutches of a keystone motorcylce cop. Demos were reported to have taken place in London as well, no photos or film though.

That's what these public spectacles are about, right? Getting a few favourably spun seconds of eye time from the more passive, media-glued majority. Such thing do have an impact, especially if the demo isn't spun in such a way as to make the police into heroes and *tactics become the issue*. As far as I could tell, that didn't happen in the Ozaryan coverage.

Good on ya, you folks who attended.

International solidarity, Mike B)

****************************************************************** "The insight into the fact that thinking is mediated by objectivity does not negate thinking, nor does it negate the objective laws that make it thinking."

Adorno, NEGATIVE DIALECTICS

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal