[lbo-talk] DC

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Sun Sep 25 06:52:34 PDT 2005

On 24/09/2005 11:40 PM, Chuck0 wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>
>> we had a great time. large turnout -- sure to disappoint chuck0 and the
>> millions more dude, i am sure, but we had a good time anyway.
>
> I'm not disappointed. I've looked at the aerial pictures and I see
> 50,000. Maybe 75,000.

i was being sarcastic. i have heard from various reports that the crowd was more than 100,000. my uneducated guess would be the same. there were a lot of people. i am curious as to what methods you are using for your estimate, based on aerial pictures.

there were people all over the place, not just in the march. in fact, i think i saw 25-50% more people (over those that marched), at the monument, along the route, and in the parks along the way.

there were people of all colours, nationality, organizations -- there were green party groups, labour groups, church groups, restaurant workers, college kids, a whole lot of unaffiliated usual suspects such as yours truly, etc. etc. even along the drive down to DC, we spotted many cars and buses with signs and waved to each other. it was a wonderful wy to reconnect to the "reality based community" (as opposed to the virtual communities of bushco and internet mailing lists).

the march wasn't about ANSWER or UFPJ (though a lot of gratitutde is due to both of them for making it happen). it was about debt relief, palestinian rights, labour rights, the people's issues, and against their domination by the elite and by corporations, against illegal wars. i think many (most) of us marching understood that quite well.

most of us walked right by the few opponents we met on the sidewalks. hey, what's a few more on a mailing list?

--ravi