[lbo-talk] DC

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Sep 25 08:13:51 PDT 2005

ravi wrote:

> setting aside your gratuitous insults, can you explain how seattle was a
> victory? what were the goals? just shutdown one WTO meeting in a city
> that was unprepared? or scale back and even reverse the negative effects
> of "globalization"? who's talking fondly of "seattle" other than list
> members? farmers in india? (oh wait, they [some of them] committed
> suicide, but we are not supposed to talk about that on this list, are
> we?). whose morale are we boosting, and why?

Seattle had a significant impact on boosting the morale of millions of people both here in the States and around the world. You talk flippantly about farmers in India, but there were many people around the world whose morale was boosted by Seattle. Here in the U.S. a new generationa--and some older ones--were inspired to do all kinds of organizing and activism because they were inspired by activism.

Speaking for myself, if Seattle hadn't happened, I probably would no longer be an activist at this point. In 1999, I was burned out and depressed. Seattle gave me new hope that some real social change might happen in my lifetime.

Chuck