[lbo-talk] DC

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Sun Sep 25 09:18:14 PDT 2005

On 25/09/2005 11:13 AM, Chuck0 wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>
>> setting aside your gratuitous insults, can you explain how seattle was a
>> victory? what were the goals? just shutdown one WTO meeting in a city
>> that was unprepared? or scale back and even reverse the negative effects
>> of "globalization"? who's talking fondly of "seattle" other than list
>> members? farmers in india? (oh wait, they [some of them] committed
>> suicide, but we are not supposed to talk about that on this list, are
>> we?). whose morale are we boosting, and why?
>
> Seattle had a significant impact on boosting the morale of millions of
> people both here in the States and around the world. You talk flippantly
> about farmers in India, but there were many people around the world
> whose morale was boosted by Seattle. Here in the U.S. a new
> generationa--and some older ones--were inspired to do all kinds of
> organizing and activism because they were inspired by activism.

i am talking flippantly about the farmers in india? this list is the place where alex cockburn was pilloried, not by me, for pointing out that uncomfortable fact (of indian farmer suicide). i was the one who pointed out that it does not matter that cockburn may present a particular side, etc. there are the jagdish bhagwatis (on the intelligent side) and the friedmans and stossels (on the stupid side) waxing endlessly about the "other" viewpoint. we are not children: we dont need to be exposed to both "evolution" and "intelligent design" so that we can make up our minds.

now, with regards to your response: i could use some detail. how did "seattle" boost the morale of millions of people around the world? where do you see the effect of this? and in concrete terms, what are the goals that were achieved? i presume you are in the business of morale boosting in order to achieve more than just morale boosting.

and echoing you: speaking for myself, i do not care about the politics of ANSWER vs LBO. i have "fond memories" of struggle (and successes that can be measured) that date past "seattle". the members of those struggles (at least the ones i know/knew) would stand in solidarity with their sep 24 counterparts.

--ravi