[lbo-talk] Re: DC

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 17:04:05 PDT 2005

--- Bryan Atinsky <bryan at alt-info.org> wrote:

The great majority of people at the
> demo don't get the
> nuances, and don't know or care the difference
> between ANSWER, UFPJ, or
> any other org.

Well, you know the saying: "when you get the message, hang up the phone". I mean, when you've seen one or two demonstrations, you've seen them all (with some notable exceptions). I think most people go to one or two, get the message, and either return to their neighborhood and become activists, or maybe not, but at least have their political viewpoint changed somewhat. Isnt that enough? At some point the usefullness of going to demonstrations will diminish and they will stop going. Some of us persist...perhaps as psychopomps :) but we should not be surprized that we are bored shitless by them. But that does not matter because we are now just psychopomps!

Why do we gauge success by the numbers who come to marches? Look, over 50 percent of the American people are against this war. What percentage of them came to marches? Much less people were against the war, when the demonstrations were much bigger back prior to and just after the beginning of the war in Iraq.