[lbo-talk] DC: Costs of big marches

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 08:40:38 PDT 2005

Nathan Newman posts:

...frankly, a bunch of black people marching in DC is much more threatening to the establishment than the usual rally suspects.

Charles Brown replies:

Black people normally march, march as much as anybody.

The thing that threatens the establishment is when a whole lot of white people march.

[...]

Precisely.

It's easy for millions to dismiss Black people marching as yet another complaint-fest about things we should all, so I'm told by marginally well meaning people, 'get over'.

But when "normal looking" White folks (the key target of propaganda campaigns -- both commercial and political) assemble in large numbers to protest, well, this is when elites must stand up and take notice.

The usual dismissals (trouble making 'minorities' and weirdo, 'America hating' fringe Whites) become ineffective.

Cindy Sheehan's grief inspired movement gains much of its strength from her ordinary suburban mom appearance which makes Rove's quiver of character assassination arrows much less lethal

Of course, this hasn't stopped him from trying to make various smears stick...true believers howl in approval but the dirt doesn't spread much farther than the cave they inhabit and is of very limited propaganda value thus far.

.d.