Costs of big marches- Re: [lbo-talk] DC

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Sep 26 13:19:21 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> -Oh please. Farrakhan is a figure with some political influence. -There's a lot that's obnoxious in his public agenda for which he's -mobilizing bodies for the MMM.

Mostly the religious stuff. The rest is far more political and progressive than what he's usually promoted in the past. And I'm actually not that into his march in substance. My praise for it was on the strategic nature of using the march as part of initial grassroots organizing with an explicit goal of building new organizing and coordination back in communities.

-ANSWER's parent organization is -politically marginal. Do you think they're going to organize anyone -in favor of North Korea?

Successfully? Probably not, but they may convince some other progressives to ignore the issue of North Korea or Chinese human rights violations. There is a strong "leftist" contingent that thinks any political movement targetting labor abuses in China is ip so facto imperialist. So yes, I think ANSWER et al could be very effective in deflecting some kinds of political mobilization to end abuses by the Chinese government.

-I don't get why you're willing to cut a -petit bourgeois patriarch with a crackpot theology so much slack, and -you won't go near a demo that ANSWER's involved with. Smells like -sectarianism to me.

One, I've gone to a bunch of marches where ANSWER was involved. In fact, I did legal work around them, so how is that sectarian?

But if sectarianism is not wanting people whose politics are noxious and politically impotent leading the antiwar movement, chalk me up as sectarian.

Also, it's not small thing that Farrakahn has actual popular support in the black community. I wish he didn't but that's a different thing from ANSWER grabbing power through bureaucratic organizing games such as using demo permits tas bargaining chips. The fact is that most people going to ANSWER rallies think they don't represent their views. Just in the name of democracy they shouldn't be up on the podium.

Nathan