[lbo-talk] Liberal imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 27 07:21:59 PDT 2005

Charles Brown wrote:

>There is probable cause to believe that American "left" liberals
>organizing against Chinese labor abuses are aiding U.S. imperialism.

U.S. imperialism is ambivalent on China, isn't it? Where would we be without cheap Chinese manufactured goods and the People's Bank of China's purchase of Treasury paper?

I'm not going to defend Chinese labor practices, but a lot of the critics act as if they're unaware of a long history in this country of Yellow Perilism. It can get creepy.

Doug