[lbo-talk] DC: Costs of big marches

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Tue Sep 27 07:41:02 PDT 2005

-----Original Message----- From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>

> So saying we need millions to go with us is like saying that we need a rocket
> to fly to the moon. Or assuming a can opener like in that old economist joke.

Or like, when one is playing bridge, and there's exactly one distribution of the cards which allows one to win. If you get that distribution and you play as though it exists, you win. If you don't get that distribution, you lose no matter what you do. But if you get that distribution, unlikely though it seems, and you decide not to play as though you did get it, you lose despite being in a winning position.

Yes, the analogy is flawed. Still: If you don't bet, you can't win.