[lbo-talk] Liberal imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 27 11:33:15 PDT 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:

>But I'm very happy that there has been an explosion of attacks on ANSWER's
>role in the antiwar movement in the wake of Saturday's rallies.

Well, coming from Marc Cooper & Co., yes. But why? The demo was pretty successful. It attracted a more diverse crowd than usual and got pretty friendly coverage. It's not world-transformative, for sure, but it's certainly better than nothing. Why this obsessing about ANSWER? They got a permit and hired some busses. They didn't win any new friends to Kim Jong Il, and David Corn didn't go on O'Reilly and redbait the antiwar movement (or did he?). I really don't understand why it matters so much.

Doug