[lbo-talk] Liberal imperialism

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Sep 27 12:42:55 PDT 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:
>But I'm very happy that there has been an explosion of attacks on ANSWER's
>role in the antiwar movement in the wake of Saturday's rallies.

-Well, coming from Marc Cooper & Co., yes.

No, by lots of folks at places like Daily Kos who went.

-But why? The demo was -pretty successful. It attracted a more diverse crowd than usual and -got pretty friendly coverage. It's not world-transformative, for -sure, but it's certainly better than nothing. Why this obsessing -about ANSWER? They got a permit and hired some busses.

How do you define "pretty successful"? Good press coverage?

There was a majority against unilateral war before we invaded and there is a majority against the war now, and the antiwar movement hasn't been able to build a movement even close to being able to stop the war.

What's sad is how low expectations are on the left. Continual failure is excused and no leadership is held to account for its decisions.

Nathan