[lbo-talk] Lyndie England

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 14:24:42 PDT 2005

Surprised to see you go for the Lt. Calley defense, Doug. Sure, Rummy and Gonzalez and ultimately the W himself are the ones who are really responsible, and I hate scapegoating and nailing the grunts while criminals in suits and ties sip martinis and watch the sun rise -- but we were all produced by a particular set of circumstances and are all twisted by the institutions we have operate in. True, the ones England found herself in were particularly awful, and have turned a lot of other things being equal nice kids into murderers and torturers.

That's not an excuse, though. It's an explanation. But nobody coerced her to do those things, and she knew, or should have known, that they were terribly wrong. No? And she should be punished because whats he did was very bad as well as illegal. Matter of fact, she got off pretty easy compared to some of the others involved -- 3 years as opposed to 8 or 10 year sentences handed out to more senior participants.

Am I being too harsh here? I don't think so.

jks