[lbo-talk] Lyndie England

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 28 15:16:29 PDT 2005

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Surprised to see you go for the Lt. Calley defense,
>Doug. Sure, Rummy and Gonzalez and ultimately the W
>himself are the ones who are really responsible, and I
>hate scapegoating and nailing the grunts while
>criminals in suits and ties sip martinis and watch the
>sun rise -- but we were all produced by a particular
>set of circumstances and are all twisted by the
>institutions we have operate in. True, the ones
>England found herself in were particularly awful, and
>have turned a lot of other things being equal nice
>kids into murderers and torturers.

I'll say if for what, the third or maybe fourth time? She's guilty and should go to jail. But 1) it's awful to see her do hard time while her superiors don't, and 2) it's creepy to see people get so happy about her sentence, given what a sad case she is. The military machine does terrible things to weak, damaged people.

And how about all those GIs who love to cut people in half with their 50-cals? A reporter for a major metropolitan daily told me about them some months ago, but of course that reporter can't write that in the paper.

By the way, what's that website - the Times had a story about it today, but prissily didn't give the URL - that Pugliese sent me to the other day that shows pix of Iraqis with their heads torn open, the posting of which got the photographers free access to porn?

Doug