[lbo-talk] corps & single-payer

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 07:53:19 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood:

> Joanne Landy, who does press for Physicians for a National
> Health Program, says she doesn't know of any corporations
> that support single-payer. But she's asking around.

It's my recollection that while no major corporation has come out in FAVOR of single-payer per se, there have been some transnationals that have gone on record -- in the course of union negotiations -- that their costs are lower in Canada than the US, and that the national health insurance program makes the difference. Someone from the UAW may be able to clarify, if you know anyone there.

I know that this is definitely NOT the case with GE management, who will admit that healthcare costs are lower in countries other than the US, but who have an interest in the irrational system of medicine that exists in this country, since they have a huge medical equipment division. Lisa Frank, who lurks on this list, can say more. Speaking of which, I just read a Modern Healthcare alert that says GE is acquiring IDX, a healthcare IT firm, for $1.2 billion -- they no doubt see healthcare IT as a great growth sector.