[lbo-talk] corps & single-payer

Lisa Frank lfrank at seiupa.org
Thu Sep 29 08:38:06 PDT 2005

The famous Canada letter, wherein the Big Three tell how the Canadian health system keeps them competitive, is floating around all over the internet. I obtained a nice clean copy from the UAW while I was research director at the UE. Presumably it's still in the files, and historically the UE research department has been very responsive to requests from the community. If you can't find a version you like by googling, you could call over there. 412 417 8919.

On GE: The GE Medical Systems (GEMS) is one of its healthiest, with profits growing at a better pace than revenues and revenues growing at a properly brisk pace. In fact, when I last looked carefully (2003), GEMS profits were growing at exactly the same rate as medical inflation over the recent years. Needless to say, our argument in bargaining was live by the double digit, die by the double digit.

But to reach the zenith of health policy hypocrisy, I suggest you check into the patient channel, GEMS synergistic enterprise with NBC. The patient channel offers public service-y medical education in half hour installments to viewers in wards and waiting rooms (you can't get it at home, last I knew). Hospitals whose tele-menu includes NBC are offered the patient channel for nothing; estimated penetration in 2003 was 42% of US acute care facilities. How can GE afford this generosity? The P.C.'s production is entirely subsidized by pharmaceutical companies whose ads make up the final minutes of every segment. In sophisticated techno-environments, the P.C. can be narrow cast so that particular patients with particular illnesses can avail themselves of knowledge about particular drugs. I shit you not.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of John Lacny Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:53 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] corps & single-payer

Doug Henwood:

> Joanne Landy, who does press for Physicians for a National
> Health Program, says she doesn't know of any corporations
> that support single-payer. But she's asking around.

It's my recollection that while no major corporation has come out in FAVOR of single-payer per se, there have been some transnationals that have gone on record -- in the course of union negotiations -- that their costs are lower in Canada than the US, and that the national health insurance program makes the difference. Someone from the UAW may be able to clarify, if you know anyone there.

I know that this is definitely NOT the case with GE management, who will admit that healthcare costs are lower in countries other than the US, but who have an interest in the irrational system of medicine that exists in this country, since they have a huge medical equipment division. Lisa Frank,

who lurks on this list, can say more. Speaking of which, I just read a Modern Healthcare alert that says GE is acquiring IDX, a healthcare IT firm,

for $1.2 billion -- they no doubt see healthcare IT as a great growth sector.