[lbo-talk] losers [ was: Lyndie England

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Sep 29 12:00:13 PDT 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> What a bunch of lazy fools - they would rather forfeit
> the chance of everyone getting a good grade for their lazy desire to barely
> pass with the minimum effort and fuck the rest.

[snippo]

> Welcome to individualistic America where those who are screwed up worship
> the hand that screws them up in the vain hope that one day they may be
> owners of that screwing hand. That is the secret that makes the US
> capitalism going, and going, and going. People, not capital, are their own
> worst enemies by giving the capital power to screw them up and doing so to
> get a little bit ahead of the others.

If these people are completely predictable products of "individualistic America", why the opprobrium? Only someone who uses explanations based on naive individualism ("lazy fools") would demonstrate the contempt that you do here. I love the irony: in berating the naive individualism of your students, you demonstrate that selfsame faith in naive individualism!

Miles