[lbo-talk] losers [ was: Lyndie England

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 29 12:38:23 PDT 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> If these people are completely predictable products of "individualistic
> America", why the opprobrium? Only someone who uses explanations
> based on naive individualism ("lazy fools") would demonstrate the
> contempt that you do here. I love the irony: in berating the naive
> individualism of your students, you demonstrate that selfsame
> faith in naive individualism!

Everyone with HBO should be sure to see this week's _Real Sports_ (which, sociologically, must be the best news program on TV). It seems black football (soccer) players in Europe have to endure treatment by the fans which is far worse than Robinson ever had to endure in this country 60 years ago. The whole fucking crowd in Rome, Madrid, London, & elsewhere will give loud and continuous "monkey hoots" at black players (among other niceties.

As racist as the u.s. is, it looks like the racist crown is moving to Europe.

Carrol