[lbo-talk] blogging: so easy it can be done by Wonkette's cat

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 29 15:39:38 PDT 2005

>This must give George Gilder hope for a comeback . . .

>http://www.forbes.com/business/free_forbes/2005/0509/033.html

>? Gilder's Law: Winner's Waste. The futurist George Gilder wrote about this a few years ago in a Forbes publication. The best business models, he said, >waste the era's cheapest resources in order to conserve the era's most expensive resources. When steam became cheaper than horses, the smartest >businesses used steam and spared horses. Today the cheapest resources are computer power and bandwidth. Both are getting cheaper by the year (at the pace >of Moore's Law). Google is a successful business because it wastes computer power--it has some 120,000 servers powering its search engine--while it >conserves its dearest resource, people. Google has fewer than 3,500 employees, yet it generates $5 billion in (current run rate) sales.

And you could run Google with 5 million people using phones and fax machines in a zillion different libraries. It's called technical efficiency and compartive advantage. Leave it Forbes to think that Gilder invented the terms.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon