[lbo-talk] Israel, Ireland, and South Africa

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 06:13:51 PST 2006

Josh,

I hardly think I give the rulers and owners of the U.S. much credit at all, except for engaging in planning to increase their wealth and power. That doesn't mean they always succeed or that they can control all events in the world or control their own clients or even control the consequences of their own ideological propaganda.

I am not sure what your point is about United States citizens being most receptive to "Holy Land 2000". It seems to me obvious that the dregs of fundamentalist religious culture will combine with imperial culture in many ways expected and unexpected by U.S. rulers and elites. Perhaps you can explain the relevance.

The U.S.G., generally used South Africa in the southern cone of Africa in the same way that it uses Israel in the Middle East. This doesn't mean that the South African Apartheid regime didn't have its own agenda. Generally, my conclusion from the history is that Apartheid South Africa was relatively more independent of the U.S.G. than any given Israeli regime.

Further, from the internal evidence of the U.S.G. it seems that the best solution as far as U.S. rulers were concerned was for the Apartheid regime to come to some compromise with its dissidents and yet to maintain their power. In hindsight it was probably completely unrealistic to think that the Apartheid regime could be maintained for very long. Elites and rulers can be stupid but they do generally consider how to maintain and increase their power. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060401/92e4655e/attachment.htm>