[lbo-talk] Thousands in NY immigration rally

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Apr 2 14:36:53 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <wsokol52 at yahoo.com>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4869288.stm -BTW, it is a very sad day when Bush (and business) -stands to the "left" of the congress on this issue. -Yet another indicator how reactionary this country has -become. If I were to choose between jingoistic -nativism and neo-liberalism I would not even think -twice to pick neo-liberalism.

Why is this "sad"? The Delay-controlled Congress has voted for many initiatives far to the right of Bush.

The encouraging thing is that the Senate Judiary Committee passed a bill to the "left" of Bush and hopefully will survive in some form. Earned legalization is doing better legislatively than I actually expected and it no doubt owes it to the mass mobilizations in the last few weeks.

Nathan Newman