[lbo-talk] What's the Matter with New York City?

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Mon Apr 3 10:07:24 PDT 2006

1) People should be aware that the hoped for "big" NYC anti-war demonstration (UFPJ core organizer) is scheduled for Saturday April 29th (more reliable weather at that time). The 3rd "anniversary" demonstrations in mid-March were thought of as "placeholders", so as not to let the date pass. The 1st day had the former ANSWER groups as its core; the 2nd day focused on civil disobedience with the War Resisters League along with SDS and IWW as its core (as Mike Ballard posted). AFAIK, these groups were able to do no more than their standard outreach and had very little advance coverage from the mainstream media. IF one accepts the national and past trends as a norm (of course a huge "if"), then one could say that their turnout of "thousands" shows an uptick in the movement. We'll see.

[BTW, AFAIR, NYC's anti-war "native" demonstrations were not proportionally smaller than elsewhere *in the US*, except perhaps the Bay area (see for example see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_15%2C_2003_anti-war_protest for a comparison of the pre-war numbers). But I definitely think we should tell them they were: NYers get motivated that way :-) ]

2) As Doug and Nathan point out the situation of unauthorized immigrants has been very different in NYC and that results in some important differences in the labor market, social relations and society at large. The difference is striking when one travels to both NYC and to S. Cal -- one feels it even in personal relations. In good part it is the proportion of unauthorized immigrants that is smaller (I don't have estimates handy and the standard studies like Pew/CPS don't give breakdowns - anyone?). But also in NYC the unauthorized immigrants are living and working in environments where many (most?) adults from their own native country (or neighboring countries) ARE legal residents. The historical role of immigration and labor in the Northeast Anglo community is also no doubt a factor.

I stress the contrast with S. Cal because all this is now changing in NYC and it is not hard to see future trends. The labor market has been taking on S. Cal characteristics (e.g. whole employment categories are openly de facto exempt from labor law enforcement). Since WWII only one segment of the garment "sweatshops" in NYC had this character on a large scale. The Mexican community is by far the largest growing segment (from a small base) I think it is likely to expect significant social and political consequences down the road ... but not yet.

Paul