[lbo-talk] Israel, Ireland, and South Africa

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 3 08:29:40 PDT 2006

Patrick Bond wrote:

> [...]

These "subimperialists" aren't exactly doing the US's bidding in the WTO, are they?

But aside from that, I think this "accumulation by dispossession" line is overdone. It's a catchy phrase, but what does it really mean, and how novel is it? If you're talking about driving peasants off the land and putting traditional craft production out of business, that's as old as capitalism. But there's not much accumulation of any kind going on in SA, as you've pointed out yourself. Brazil remains Brazil, with advanced sectors of industry co-existing with intense poverty. Whom is Brazil looting on any large scale? And India is developing modern industry at a fairly rapid rate - not quite up to China's pace, but getting there. What hinterland is India looting?

Doug