[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 19:33:33 PDT 2006

Some response to the idea of media purchase:

1) At one time apparently the Daily Worker was really popular. Part of

that really over the top pushing of it by members (not unlike what groupsical droids to today). But part of it was genuine popularity due to it have a really first rate sports section, with some of the best betting tips around. This is old family stories again, so I don't vouch for the accuracy.

2) I agree that Air America is no test. Air America is bland liberal ideology mixed with conspiracy theories shouted out at the top of the lungs. I thought it was doomed when I heard Al Franken was going to be the star; I've always considered him one of the least funny comedians in the U.s.

3) I agree that the best way to do alternative media would be to stick really good news and analysis as a small part of a media that does great entertainment.

4) As important as media is, my gut instinct is that boots on the ground are more important most of the time. Yeah we saw the immigrants rights thing -but again you basically had an entire mainstream community taking to the streets all at once. You had a portion of the corporate commericial media encouraging progressive action. You are not going to get that very often. If you have a great alternative media how to get people to listen to it? United Churches of Christ can't even buy an Ad at the superbowl; you think a genuniely dangerous alternative media could? So if you have a great alternative media sometime we are still going to have to use grassroots organizing to get people to listen to it. Everything is important - internet media, radio and TV stations if we can get them, pod casts, DVDS, newspapers, magazines books - everything. But at the core, you have to have people talking to people. Don't think there is any way around it.

My six cents (too many paragraphs to be just 2 pennies).