[lbo-talk] love stories???

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 09:37:07 PDT 2006

My twelve-year old daughter has fallen off her reading lately, but yesterday she expressed an interest in reading "love stories."

Nothing surprising there. It's hormone, boy-crazy time and anything that will get her to read is fine by me.

She likes things like "Pride and Prejudice," which she has read, but she only has time for shorter books because of 20 hrs of ballet/week and full time school.

A quick comb through my fictions collection unearthed Chekhov's "Lady and the Dog," The Great Gatsby, and Collette's "Cheri." Not exactly 12-year old fare, but it was all handy. I also managed to retrieve O'Henry's "Gift of the Magi" off the net.

If any reader/lurker can recommend a good love story -- short story, novelette, or short novel, I'd appreciate it. I can think of lots, but they're all 18th, 19th century longish things. My daughter is OK with sad endings and I'm OK if it has sex in it.

Thanks,

Joanna