[lbo-talk] Russians Sense the Heat of Cold War Intensifying U.S.Criticism of Government and Its Role in Region Provokes Resentment

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 13:58:45 PDT 2006

>From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
>
>Does Chris Doss care to comment?
>
>Jim F.
>Russians Sense the Heat of Cold War
>Intensifying U.S. Criticism of Government and Its Role
>in Region Provokes Resentment
>
>By Peter Finn
>Washington Post Foreign Service
>Monday, April 3, 2006; A14
>
>MOSCOW -- In this city, it's beginning to feel like a
>new Cold War, driven by what many people here see as
>an old American impulse: to encircle, weaken or even
>destroy Russia...

Awaiting Chris's reply, I'll add my two cents: I don't think this cold war revival is being driven by Russophobia particularly. Now that wheels have come off GWB's anti-Islam jihad, the military-industrial complex needs another looming menace -- any menace at all -- pronto to keep the Pentagon's budget well stuffed. Russia seems the logical choice since, compared to the Bushian crusade, the cold war was easy to stage-manage.

Carl