[lbo-talk] Russians Sense the Heat of Cold War Intensifying U.S. Criticism of Government and Its Role in Region Provokes Resentment

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 09:15:45 PDT 2006

I'm in a real hurry, so just a few quick comments.

1. Narochnitskaya is a member of a party famous for its xenophobia and racist Moscow TV campaign ad, and does not represent mainstream opinion. These people think Brzezinsky (sp?) represents official US policy.

2. Given Russia's size, any US assertiveness anywhere in the world outside of Latin America, Australia and Africa could be interpreted as an attempt to isolate Russia. What would "isolating Russia" mean anyway? Russia's clout is based on its economic and geographical weight, neither of which the US has any effect on.

3. People have been saying the US is about to change its Russia policy for years now, and it's never happened. I think it's wishful thinking on the part of oligarch-in-exile-funded journalists for the most part. Usually Bush says something in public like "I have to talk to Vladimir about this" and then does nothing. Actually I think US Russia policy has been quite good for Russia on the whole. Perhaps it's the influence of Condi.

--- Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

> Does Chris Doss care to comment?
>
> Jim F.
> Russians Sense the Heat of Cold War
> Intensifying U.S. Criticism of Government and Its
> Role
> in Region Provokes Resentment
>
> By Peter Finn
> Washington Post Foreign Service