[lbo-talk] Chinese influence in Brazil worries US

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 5 21:20:43 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>It would be interesting if China eclipsed the US as Brazil's and
>then Latin America's number one trade and investment partner, but it
>has a long way to go (if it is getting there at all before the
>current business cycle of growth ends):

There was a lot of talk in the late 1980s about Japan moving into Latin America, displacing US influence. Salinas sent his kids to a Japanese school in Mexico City. I wrote a piece about it for the NACLA journal. A lot of what's being said about China today sounds like Japan in its late bubble days.

Doug