[lbo-talk] Campaign against Muzak

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 08:25:45 PDT 2006

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/7/06, Wojtek Sokolowski <wsokol52 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4883612.stm
>
> WS:> ...Musical "mood enhancers" like Muzak are an
> equivalent of
> Prozac - basically a beneficial thing albeit mundane
> and uninspiring.
> Besides, Muzak-Prozac is easy to ignore. <
>
> Maybe Musak is the equivalent of Lithium or Librium,
> but Prozac and
> other SSRIs are not easy to ignore (unless one isn't
> taking them).

I used "Prozac" only because it rhymes with "Muzak" - otherwise I have no quarrel with SSRIs - they keep me going. I also ignore Muzak, which is easy to do.

Dennis: I am not quite sure what you are trying to tell me by saying to be careful what I wish for, followed by an excerpt from the transcript from "Do the right thing" film. That it is OK for some people to break the norms of civlised behavior? That only Blacks produce noise?

Something else?

As a point of clarification, I see noise producing behavior mainly as the male juvenile contumacy thing - limited mainly to young and immature males of all ethnic backgrounds. A display of machismo, if you will. It is mainly the US phenomenon whose pop culture exalts juvenile behavior, but can be quite offensive in other cultures. For example, in most African cultures young people are forbidden to speak in the presence of elders, unless spoken to. Europeans and Asians also tend to have a much lower noise tolerance than US-ers. One thing that you notice when you travel overseas is how much quieter overseas places tend to be - less yelling, loud talking, and music playing in public palces, and less noise producing gizmos - from emergency vehicles, to trucks and buses, to lawn mowers, and to ubiquitous alarms of all imaginable kinds.

Wojtek