[lbo-talk] libs vs. cons.

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 11:16:22 PDT 2006

"Central to this movie's [SAVING PRIVATE RYAN's] politics is the issue of compassion and its opposite, force. Liberals love compassion, hate force; conservatives hate compassion, love force. Liberals spread compassion magnanimously all over the universe, conservatives hoard it dearly for their own kind, and sometimes won't spend it even then. Liberals want you to obey them because they feel your pain, have negotiated you to their position, and have enlightened you with their higher morality. Conservatives want you to obey them or they'll beat you up."

-- Stephen Hunter, WaPo movie critic and self-styled conservative, in NOW PLAYING AT THE VALENCIA, Simon & Shuster, 2005, p. 177. Written August, 1998. He sees SAVING PRIVATE RYAN as a profoundly conservative film.

I think the statement above is pretty good as a description of lib vs. con on the level of rhetoric or ideology. As for Bill ("I feel your pain") Clinton, he was liberal in rhetoric, but of course in practice it was different. -- Jim Devine [neither lib nor con] / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles