[lbo-talk] Henwood on immigration

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 9 17:15:52 PDT 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Good show.

Thanks.

> However, one question that I have for Jeff
>Faux is what is it exactly that will motivate
>"ordinary people" for cross boarder solidarity? Jeff
>seems to stipulate that it is the worsening of living
>standards, but that argument has two major problems.

Gallup polls repeatedly show lots of economic anxiety in the bottom half of the income distribution. It's vague and apolitical, but it's there. And that's just the US. (And where's the anti-immigrant mania coming from if not, in part, economic anxiety. I realize there's a noneconomic, cultural purity dimension to it too.) Certainly western Europeans are scared of losing their welfare states. And the Latin American working class is highly pissed off at what neoliberalism has done for them, which is mostly less than nothing.

Doug